Saturday 14 May 2011

Letter From My Locket

Wearing me daily, we did not part; not even to shower or sleep. Through the spring showers, summer breezes, autumn fall and the winter solstice, year upon year. The birthdays, the sleepovers, the tantrums and childish giggles. We were never separated. Occasionally, I'd have loved to just linger in a velvet lined jewellery box for a rest, as the wear and tear brought about scratches and imperfections on my golden body. My single ruby jewel not as shimmering as it once was.

Your innocent blonde curls always tangled in the chain once they had grown long and flowing. Your strong grasp upon the pendant when you felt anxious or scared. Re-opening and closing the delicate little door, closely listening to the little click as you expose the lockets contents.

Now, that you are older, events are arising where you carefully beautify yourself and don't return until the small hours. Taking me off, I am flung to the side and you embellish yourself in costume jewellery. Oh, how I'd love to accompany you on your midnight frolics and have the glimmer of the moon shine on my worn face at a spontaneous soiree. Why do you wish to adorn yourself in junk jewellery? Their cheap, disposable nickel and brass chains are not a match to a genuine investment, a real keepsake, a fine collectible.

I am afraid that I am due to retire as you are slowly beginning to wear me less and less. I am seeing less of your life, the early morning train rides, the classes at school, the sneaky shopping trips and seeing more pitch black. Imprisoned in a drawer in your bedroom filled with odds and ends including scissors, pens, paperclips and little black satin bows you once wore in your hair. It is an uncomfortable place to live unlike the soft sun kissed skin I used to lay my pendant upon.

Yours truly,
Your Little Locket xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment